The Young Composers of Michigan (YCM) provides an opportunity for students from Michigan to have their creative work heard, recognized, and celebrated. YCM aims to support the development of students as Creators, Producers and Performers. YCM is open to all k-12 students from Michigan. Students submit at least one original piece of music and receive feedback and comments from highly experienced musicians, composers, and industry professionals as a part of the YCM Community. In addition, YCM hosts an annual live concert celebrating the top student composers in Michigan with live performances of their pieces at the Annual Michigan Music Conference.
Recognition, Development, and Opportunities for Performance
All submissions will receive comments and feedback from highly experienced Musicians, Composers, and Music Industry Professionals. Feedback and comments are designed to help composers develop their ideas and learn from listening to different perspectives on their work.
Students may choose to put their work in the running to be FEATURED in a LIVE PERFORMANCE at the Amway Grand Hotel in Grand Rapids Michigan as part of the Michigan Music Conference. If your work is chosen, you will work with the production team to perform your piece in front of a live audience.
Congratulations to our 2024 featured composers:
- Dawn & Night- Obinna Umeh, Donley Elementary School, East Lansing, MI
- The Squirrel- Maylee Qu, Amerman Elementary School, Northville, MI
- DW- Demarion Williams, Pattengill Elementary School, Ann Arbor, MI
- The Lion Roars- Isabel Tomazela, Hoover Elementary School, Livonia, MI
- For Sunshine-Für Sonnenschein (Xing Xing)- Andy Quan and Gideon Bezikofer, Orchard Hills Elementary, Novi, MI
- Rondo in C Major for 2 Cellos, Eunyu Cho and Emma Yu, Novi Meadows Elementary, Novi, MI
- Lord of Poison- Tristan O’Keefe, MacDonald Middle School, East Lansing, MI
- Feel Good- Fletcher Tilton, South Lyon High School, South Lyon, MI
- Laser Robots, Caleb Carothers, Plymouth, MI
- PUSH!- Mitchell Roth, North Farmington High School, Farmington Hills, MI
- Save Me- Mass Dispute Band, Romeo High School, Romeo, MI
- Chronicle of a Forgotten Hero- Cameron Olson, Portage Central High School, Portage, MI
- The Constellations Suite- Sam Critchley, Lake Orion High School, Lake Orion, MI
- Piece for an Unusual Ensemble- Eric Rucker, Coldwater High School, Coldwater, MI
2023 featured composers:
- “The Sleepy Polar Bear” by Juniper Walker, Marble Elementary School, East Lansing, MI.
- “Drive” by Scott Dreaver, Orchard Hills Elementary, Novi, MI.
- “Flowers” by Aarya Kurup, Orchard Hills Elementary, Novi, MI.
- “In Line” by Amaya Rizvi, Orchard Hills Elementary, Novi, MI.
- “Mountains” by Henry Chubb, Orchard Hills Elementary, Novi, MI.
- “On The Way” by Haoze Arthur Li, Orchard Hills Elementary, Novi, MI.
- “I’m Running Out” by Salvador Ruiz-Nunex, Pattengill Elementary, Ann Arbor, MI.
- “Sonatine” by Janet Rucker, Legg Middle School, Coldwater, MI.
- “Sonatina for Oboe and Piano” by Eric Rucker, Coldwater High School, Coldwater, MI.
- “Railroad Street” by Gwendellyn Doerfler, Dewitt High School, Dewitt, MI.
- “Track Fanfare” and “Almost Home” by John Danzinger, East Lansing High School, East Lansing, MI.
- “Duckling Duet” by Samantha Sutter, Fitzgerald High School, Warren, MI.
- “The Noble Knight” and the Dreadful Dragon by Sam Critchley, Lake Orion High School, Lake Orion, MI.
- “Magic” by Oscar Justian, Mona Shores High School, Norton Shores, MI.
- “Prelude Op. 13 No. 2” by Noah Sutton, Mona Shores High School, Norton Shores, MI.
- “The Difference of the Sum” by Mitchell Roth, North Farmington High School, Farmington Hills, MI.
- “String Quartet No. 2” by Jonah Midtgard, Troy High School, Troy, MI.
View past featured composers here
The Michigan Music Education Association (MMEA) thanks you and your students for participating in our events. As part of all our activities pictures and videos are taken. MMEA later uses these photographs and videos in all aspects of our online and print media. Please contact us at email@example.com if you know of a student who does not wish to appear in photos or videos so we can take steps to maintain their privacy. Thank you!