The Michigan Music Education Association is thrilled to present the 6th annual Elementary Honors Choir, which will be held in March of 2020. It is open to 3rd-6th grade students of MMEA members. We feature TWO separate ensembles—a 3rd/4th grade choir & a 5th/6th grade choir. Each group will rehearse separately, and will perform on their own at the concert. The performance will also feature one joint piece with the combined groups singing together. This year’s directors will be announced soon. The audition fee is $10, and cost of participation, if accepted, is an additional $55.
The schedule is as follows:
Day 1 Rehearsal: March 21, 2020 @ Grand Ledge High School
10am – noon Rehearse
12-12:45 pm Lunch
12:45-3:15 pm Rehearse
Day 2 Performance: March 28, 2020 @ Grand Ledge High School
(this schedule may be adjusted slightly closer to the event)
To apply for membership to the Elementary Honors Choir:
- Prepare an audition recording (any method available to you). 3rd/4th grade students will sing “Happy Birthday” in the key of G without accompaniment. 5th/6th grade students will sing “America” (My Country ’tis Of Thee) in the key of G without accompaniment. If students are not able to sing that song for religious or other reasons, they may sing another song of their choice with a similar range, or sing a few vocalizes. Clearly label each recording with the student’s first & last name, grade & school. For example, if Bobby Jones goes to East Elementary school, his audio file should be labeled “Bobby Jones Grade 5 East Elem.” Google Voice recordings should have the teacher clearly state the student name, school name, and grade at the beginning of the recording.
- Registration for this event has now closed
- Pay application fee at the bottom of the online form via PayPal or credit card. You may also send a check payable to the “Michigan Music Education Association” for $10 per student.
- All items must be postmarked by November 15, 2019.
PO Box 410
Jackson, MI 49204
Phone number: (810) 412-8304 (please note NEW phone number)
Fax: (517) 789-8467
*Please put “MMEAEHC” in the subject line to help sort your email from spam
Audition Criteria and Instructions:
- Directors should recommend students who are strong in ALL of the following categories: 1) music reading skills; 2) tone quality; 3) social skills; 4) willingness to work with peers and adults; and 5) aptitude and stamina for success with long rehearsals.
- It is imperative that students commit to both the first rehearsal date and the second rehearsal/concert date. Not attending one or the other compromises their comfort level at the concert, as well as the comfort level of those singing near them.
- Students will receive acceptance and voice part assignment in the form of an email to their recommending teacher by December 9th. They must return their letter of commitment and payment of $55 by December 20, 2019. Students will then be sent this year’s music and links to the learning/listening tracks.
- Students need to be well-prepared for the first rehearsal. All music will need to be memorized for the concert. Concert dress will be black pants or black skirt and black tights and the T-shirt (provided at the 2nd rehearsal/performance).
Fees and what they cover:
Your $10 audition and $55 Honor’s Choir fees pay for a T-shirt, music, food on rehearsal and concert days & concert space. It also helps pay for the Director and Accompanist stipends.
Please click below to view the press release for our 2017 event:
MMEA is a proud state affiliate of the National Association for Music Education