The Michigan Chapter of the Society for Music Teacher Education focuses on curriculum, policies, and issues associated with preservice and inservice teacher education in Michigan. Members meet annually during the Michigan Music Conference and participate in MMEA through the Higher Education Committee. MI SMTE is affiliated with the North Central Regional SMTE as well as SMTE at the National level.
Areas of Strategic Planning and Action (ASPAs)
- Critical Examination of the Curricula
- Cultural Diversity and Social Justice
- Music Teacher Educators: Identification, Preparation, and Professional Development
- Music Teacher Health & Wellness
- Music Teacher Identity Development
- Supporting Beginning Teachers
- Professional Development for the Experienced Teacher
- Program Admission, Assessment, and Alignment
- School/University Partnerships
- Teacher Evaluation
- Teacher Recruitment
For questions and concerns about Michigan SMTE, please contact Lauri Hogle, Michigan SMTE Chair.