As NAfME’s state affiliated organization, the Michigan Music Educators Association (MMEA) actively supports NAfME Collegiate members enrolled at a college or university in the state of Michigan. Not sure if you are an MMEA member? To put it simply, if you are a member of NAfME who studies/teaches in Michigan, you are a member of the MMEA.
How does the MMEA support college students?
The MMEA organizes and funds professional development opportunities for NAfME Collegiate members. These events include the Collegiate Conference and NAfME Collegiate sessions at the Michigan Music Conference.
Additionally, the State Collegiate Advisor and two State Representatives serve as MMEA board members to represent college students and help plan collegiate events.
What are the State Representative job responsibilities?
- Attend MMEA board meetings and report on student activities
- Provide a collegiate perspective and articulate mutual and differing concerns on a given issue
- Plan sessions geared for college students at the Michigan Music Conference with the NAfME Collegiate State Advisor
- Serve on the planning committee for the NAfME Collegiate Conference with the State Advisor and Early Careers Representative
- Network with and serve as a resource for collegiate NAfME members across the state and division
- Write articles/columns pertaining to the collegiate audience for publication in the Michigan Music Educator
- Monitor utilized forms of communication (including the Facebook State of Michigan NAfME Collegiate group page) to ensure accurate and timely messages are shared with collegiate members
- Represent the MMEA, NAfME, and NAfME Collegiate positively in all interactions
How do I become a State Representative?
State representatives are college music education majors who serve one year terms. They are self-nominated and peer-elected. Elections take place each spring through chapter advisors. If you are interested in opportunities to serve as State Representative, please contact a State Representative for more information.
How can I be active as a NAfME Collegiate member without serving as a State Representative?
One of the best ways to be active in state events is to keep in touch. We use a Facebook group to be in contact with our membership. If you are a member of Facebook, join the group NAfME Collegiate Michigan. If you are not a member of Facebook but would like updates, email a State Representative and ask them to keep you in the loop.
Another way to stay active is to attend the MMEA/NAfME Collegiate Conference and NAfME Collegiate sessions at the Michigan Music Conference. We annually hold a business meeting at the Michigan Music Conference. While a business meeting does not sound extremely appealing, it is very important for our membership to attend to share ideas and connect with people from across the state. We also work to keep these meetings as exciting as possible. In January 2011 we included a short presentation and question & answer session with NAfME President, Dr. Scott Shuler.
To know what’s going on, check out theNAfME Collegiate Update printed in each Michigan Music Educator Journal. These updates reflect on past events, discuss upcoming events, and include other opportunities to get involved.
What if I have ideas I want to share or questions I’d like answered?
We value your input and will work to find solutions to best serve the collegiate membership across the state. Please contact us!