A statement on Music Education under the Michigan Return to Learn Plan
Using grant funding from the Country Music Association (CMA) Foundation, MMEA produced our first ever advocacy video, featuring students from the East Lansing Public Schools. We invite you to view the video by clicking below! Special thanks to CMA and the East Lansing Public Schools for their support of this project!
Music Education Advocacy Day
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, the 2020 Music Advocacy Day has been cancelled.
We encourage you to communicate with the legislators from your home district and let them know how important music education is to you and your students. Please feel free to use the language above as you craft a letter/email telling lawmakers about this very important day, and about the power of music education. CLICK HERE to find your local Representative. CLICK HERE to find your local Senator.
NAfME Hill Day 2020
In June a delegation from MMEA will travel to Washington, D.C. to participate in the NAfME Hill Day. Over 300 music education advocates attended aver 200 meetings with their members of Congress and/or staff at the 2019 event. To find out more, visit https://nafme.org/advocacy/
Photos by Ashlee Wilcox Photography
MMEA Support Statement
Looking for a way to show your support for MMEA in your concert programs? MMEA is pleased to provide a short “support statement” with MMEA & NAfME logos included that is print-ready for inclusion in your concert programs, handouts, etc. Please use this graphic to show YOUR support for MMEA!
Proud Member Statement, Programs 2013
NAfME and MMEA support you!
The Music in our Schools Months Page has great information that you can tailor to your needs, including sample language and pointers on
- Passing a resolution (by a legislature, a city council, a school board)
- Working with media
- Getting publicity
- And more!
The Grassroots Action Center has a variety of resources, including:
- Local Advocacy Action Plan
- NAfME Civic Action Field Guide
- Grassroots Advocacy Inventory
- Society for Music Teacher Education Policy E-Kit
- Title IV-A Success Stories
- Parents – 5 Ways to Support Your Music Program
- Connecting with Legislators
- Public Relations 101
- And more!
MMEA supports members by…
- Organizing our statewide Music Education Advocacy Day
- Participating in NAfME Advocacy Leadership Force and Hill Day
- Offering state-level legislative email updates
- Working with state legislators and board of education on relevant music education policy initiatives
- Meeting with state & national policymakers
- Reviewing countless updates from state & national agencies regarding music & arts policy
We are the foremost music education advocacy experts in Michigan!
Please contact us if you have questions or needs: email@example.com
Michigan Music Education Advocacy Day
Michigan Music Education Task Force
Strategies for Local Advocacy
Helpful Resources – what can YOU do?