Dates and Sites for 2024 Instrumental Clinics
Wayne State University – March 28
Bellville – March 14, 15
Fowlerville – March 1, 2
Mona Shores – February 3
Registration is now open
Interested in attending? Here is what a director had to say after attending a clinic for the first time:
“This was our first time attending the MMEA Band Festival, and I thought that it was extremely well organized and well-run. I can’t tell you how very grateful I am for the very positive, informative and educational experience you all have provided us. I have several special needs students with various learning challenges throughout my bands, and was grateful that they were able to experience festival in such a positive way. It was especially beneficial to have had one of the judges actually give the kids a clinic on stage immediately following their performance, based on what they heard and observed. Thank you for facilitating this great experience for the kids. We look forward to returning next year.”
Some basic information regarding our clinics:
- Your band will perform on stage and, following your performance, will get a clinic with one of our three clinicians.
- These clinicians are either college band directors or retired high school band directors who have been selected for their ability to work with groups at all age levels.
- Your group will NOT receive a rating. Our goal is for you and your band to have a venue to perform, receive constructive feedback, AND to hear other groups of a similar ability level.
- We believe that students are not given enough opportunities to hear other bands their age play and we want to remedy that. Consequently, your band will be scheduled near other groups of your age/ability level so that this experience is not just a performing one, but also a listening one.
- There are no restrictions on the literature you play or the amount of time you wish to play.
- Junior high/middle school groups are given 25 minutes to play/work with the clinician and high school groups are given 40 minutes. You can use that time however you’d like.
- At the end of the day, each band will receive a high quality CD recording of their performance as well as recorded comments from all 3 clinicians on one CD.
- Though your band will not be rated, you may elect to receive a participant’s plaque.
- This is a perfect event if you wish to use it as a preparation for another festival or as a substitute for the traditional festival model. Either way, we’d love to have you.
- NEW: 3 original scores and original parts for all players will be required for all participating ensembles.
The participation fee for these events is $150 per ensemble (member rate), or $175 per ensemble (non-member rate). Plaques can be purchased for an additional $25 per ensemble. You may pay by credit card or choose our new offline payment option. An invoice reflecting your total due will be sent to you with payment instructions. Itemized invoices can be sent upon request–just email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll generate one asap.