- Kalamazoo Children's Chorus
- Kalamazoo, MI
- Compensation will be $35,000 per year. There are no benefits attached to this position.
- Choral, Part Time
- Posted On:
- September 26, 2019
The Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus is seeking an energetic and highly motivated individual to serve as our Artistic/Executive Director beginning in July of 2020. The position is a part time 20 hours per week. The full job description is listed below.
Kalamazoo is a vibrant arts community. It boasts a major university, Western Michigan University, the renowned Kalamazoo College, The Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra, The Kalamazoo Bach Festival, The International Gilmore Piano Festival, The Stulberg Competition, The Kalamazoo Singers, The Kalamazoo Male Chorus and numerous a cappella groups. The Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus was founded in 1980 to provide children an opportunity to explore and develop challenging choral repertoire. There are currently 6 choirs the make up the chorus: Our four main campus choirs; Touring, Bella Voce, Treble and Preparatory and two satellite ensembles both tuition free; The Eastside Choir designed for children living on the east side of Kalamazoo to rehearse and perform in their neighborhood and The Coro de Niños, an ensemble designed to explore the Spanish language musical culture. The Artistic/Executive Director conducts the Touring Choir. This ensemble, as the name suggests, travels the country and the world. Our most recent adventure was to Costa Rica in June of 2019.
The staff of KCC consists of the Artistic/Executive Director, Outreach Director, five additional conductors and six accompanists. A community board oversees the operation of the organization.
We envision a future where choral singing is considered a vital part of the fabric of our community and where we provide a bridge to cultural understanding through music.
The Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus will provide an opportunity for children to learn and perform in an atmosphere of artistic excellence, and by so doing, enrich the artistic life of the community.
Our Expectations of the Executive/Artistic Director Responsibilities:
- Manage the Chorus both artistically and administratively.
- Audition and select members with the assistance of the other choir directors.
- Select/approve music to suit performance requirements reflecting the developmental stages and abilities of all choirs.
- Direct the Touring Choir rehearsals and performances to achieve desired effects (with instrumental accompaniment).
- Schedule tours and performances.
- Report season progress at monthly board meetings
- Assist with annual budget and strategic planning
- Act as ambassador to community leaders and stakeholders
Master’s Degree or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/ or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted following receipt of the letter of interest. Candidates will participate in a remote video interview. Those who move on in the process will be invited to Kalamazoo for a face to face interview and the opportunity to rehearse with The Touring Choir. The decision as to the new Artistic/Executive Director will be made by the search committee with input from The Touring Choir. If interested, please send a letter of interest to our search committee : email@example.com