High School Orchestra Teacher – 1.0 FTE
Forest Hills Public Schools is seeking an enthusiastic, creative, and innovative Strings/Orchestra Director for the 2022-2023 school year. Collaboration within a dynamic K-12 Fine Arts Department, commitment to making a positive impact on the lives of students, setting a consistently positive tone, and mastery of a minimum of one-stringed instrument, are all critical components of this position. The ideal candidate creates and maintains an atmosphere of inclusion where students and faculty from all backgrounds are welcomed and celebrated in the areas of performing arts. Contributing as an excellent educator, conductor, and musician, this full-time member of the FHPS community teaches a wide variety of ages from beginning strings to intermediate and advanced string ensembles at both the Middle School and High School orchestras.
The Orchestra Director is responsible for leading, directing, and providing artistic vision for the strings curriculum and orchestral performances across all grade levels 6-12 of the schools. The Orchestra Director works closely with all performing arts faculty members, the Chair of Fine Arts, and other school leadership to ensure strong, cooperative relationships and maintain high artistic standards.
- Instructs students through lectures, discussions, visual aids, and other effective teaching methods for student comprehension.
- Prepares outlines and lessons to use in a classroom that effectively covers the current material per the state and district music standards.
- Administers various types of assessments to track and follow students’ performance, behavior, and other issues.
- Attends faculty meetings and training sessions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct beginning, intermediate, and advanced orchestras
- Work with the Fine Arts Department Chair and other music staff on maintaining and updating the curriculum.
- Work with students on an individual basis (as needed) outside of class.
- Prepare students for at least three annual concerts, in addition to other performance opportunities.
Provide regular feedback (written and verbal) to both students and parents.
- Update course pages and electronic grade books regularly.
- Prepare progress reports and meet with parents for conferences each semester.
- Collaborate with other departments on cross-curricular connections.
- Support the FHPS School mission.
- Take attendance on a daily basis.
- Attend school-related functions, when appropriate, to support students.
- Participate in professional development opportunities, as applicable.
- Model life-long learning.
- Maintain school inventory and school instruments along with music supplies as needed.
- Serve as an ambassador for the school at Open Houses and other admissions or public.
- Must possess an enthusiasm for teaching students of all ages and ability levels.
- Must value a highly collaborative and culturally responsive approach to teaching and learning, teach with a growth mindset, and possess a good sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or music education
- Teaching experience preferred
- Commitment to the success of each student
- Proven collaborator and team member
- Innovative and optimistic thinker
The Forest Hills Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, or sexual orientation), marital status, disability, genetic information, or any other legally prohibited basis in its employment decisions or the provision of services.