“I would teach children music, physics & philosophy; but most importantly music, for the patterns in music and all the arts are the keys to learning.” –Plato
SPRING 2018 LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN
Two recently proposed Michigan education bills, SB 0198 and HB 4349, will ensure that all elementary students are provided with a basic music education experience. If enacted, this ESSA-aligned legislation would authorize best practice guidelines for K-5 general music contact time and teaching environment, and would ensure the preservation and continuous development of high quality music education experiences for all Michigan students. We encourage you to communicate with the legislators from your home district and let them know how important music education is to you and your students.
Let’s stand together as we work for quality music education opportunities for all Michigan students!
Why music education matters:
- Music classes provide places where ALL students can be successful
- Music allows students to be creative & innovative
- Participation in an ensemble promotes teamwork
- Participation in music helps develop the WHOLE student
- Participation in music empowers students to appreciate artistic works
- MUSIC MATTERS! Please join us in preserving it for all students, now & in the future.
5 ways parents can support their school music programs:
- Get involved in your music booster group and/or volunteer in the classroom. Your teachers have ideas, and you could be the answer.
- Thank your school principal for supporting your child’s music program and music teacher. “Thank you” is not something they hear every day. And it shows you’re paying attention.
- Write your local/national newspaper a letter-to-the-editor about what music has meant for your child. It only takes 80 to 100 words, but it can go a long way. Lawmakers and other decision-makers are keeping track of what constituents want.
- Invite your school board members, county/district supervisors, state/national lawmakers to your child’s school concert. No, really! They may see it as only a public relations opportunity when they come, but when they leave, they’ll understand why music matters in all schools.
- Reach out to local media. Whether on radio, TV, or in print, your school music program has a story to tell. See the “Public Relations 101” resource for advocates below for more ideas.
- As seen at http://www.nafme.org/take-action/5-ways-to-support-your-music-program/?platform=hootsuite
20 Important Benefits of Music in our Schools:
Nearly everyone enjoys music, whether by listening to it, singing, or playing an instrument. But despite this almost universal interest, many schools are having to do away with their music education programs. This is a mistake, with schools losing not only an enjoyable subject, but a subject that can enrich students’ lives and education. CLICK HERE to learn why music education is so important, and how it offers benefits even beyond itself.
Resources for Educators:
Advocating for your program–practical tips Here are some great ways to advocate for music education in your community.
Proud Member Statement, Programs 2013 Looking for a way to show your support for MMEA in your concert programs? Use this print-ready statement with logos in your concert programs, handouts, etc. Please use this graphic to show YOUR support for MMEA!
Legislative Asks 2017 (MI Adv Day) Take a look at our legislative asks from the 2017 Michigan Music Education Advocacy Day.
Advocacy Talking Points, Spring 2017 Interested in learning more about our current advocacy platform? Read here to see what we’re working on, & feel free to share with anyone who might be interested.
Position Statements (certification, evaluation & fieldwork)
Coming soon: letter templates
- LETTER TEMPLATE DOCX – 13 KB
- Advocacy Talking Points, Spring 2017 PDF – 278 KB
- Legislative Asks 2017 (MI Adv Day) PDF – 5 MB
- Advocacy Talking Points, Fall 2016 PDF – 468 KB
- Music Teacher Certification Statement, MMEA & PMEPD (final) PDF – 337 KB
- NAfME-Teacher-Evaluation-Position-Statement PDF – 117 KB
- MISMTE Position – Statement Teacher Eval – Final PDF – 245 KB
- MISMTE Position Statement, Fieldwork PDF – 442 KB
- Legislative Asks 2016 (MI Adv Day) PDF – 637 KB
- Proud Member Statement, Programs 2013 PDF – 111 KB
- Advocating for your program–practical tips PDF – 207 KB