- Grand Rapids Public Schools
- Grand Rapids, MI
- $38,000 and comprehensive benefits package
- Elementary/General, Full Time
- Posted On:
- April 11, 2018
Grand Rapids Public Schools
- Responsible for developing a high quality general music program using research based instructional strategies as the foundations for creating successful music
- Provide sound music instruction enabling all students to know and demonstrate the foundations of general music – singing techniques, music reading/literacy, and application of theoretical knowledge through; movement, instruments, musical game, etc.
- Provide rhythmic instructions so all students’ can count and clap age appropriate rhythmic patterns independently
- Develop lesson plans based on the music curriculum, the GRPS academic plan, support departmental goals, and students’ needs
- Implement a plan addressing all learning styles, which allows each student to succeed through differentiated instruction
- Plan and execute a minimum of two performances per building per year
- Communicate with feeder schools – middle school to establish program articulation and successful transition for students
- Evaluate student progress based on formal and informal assessment to inform instruction
- Grade students and input the data into the computer-based grading program
- Attend meetings and workshops to stay current with educational practice
- Provide a safe, effective classroom environment that is focused on learning and student growth
- Establish and maintain timely effective written/oral communication with students, parents, building and district level staff
- Create and maintain positive relations with students, parents, staff, and community
- Exercise good judgment implementing school district policies, procedures, guidelines, and law
- Serve as a role model for all students and within the school community
- Keeps organized classroom spaces, music library, student attendance
- Work effectively with diverse students and staff of various backgrounds
- Other duties as assigned
Parent and Community Engagement
- Make and maintain regular, positive contact with parents via phone calls, email and/or home visits including communicating student progress.
- Establish and maintain effective written and oral communication and rapport with students, parents and colleagues.
- Participate in parent meetings, including IEP’s and Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- Contribute to the development of a positive attitude between the school and the wider community through cooperative relations, publications, competitions, etc.
- Contribute to community service and global citizenship goals
- Display physical, social, mental and emotional soundness in order to execute the duties of job.
- Serve as a role model for all students and within school community.
- Interact with co-workers, administration, students, parents and the community in positive, supportive and cooperative ways.
- Encourage the team spirit and contribute as a team member in the decision making processes of the school as facilitated by the building administrator.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required.
- Contribute to extra-curricular activities and school programs, including recess duty as requested
- Maintain and promote school district goals and objectives.
- Comply with state, federal and District policies, procedures, rules, and the union contract.
- Regular and on-time attendance is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: *JX/JQ K-12 music teacher certification *Degree in Music Education *Must have transportation to travel between buildings *Must be highly organized to maintain effective records for multiple buildings Additional Requirements *Successful teaching experience working in a diverse setting preferred *Successful experience and training in Orff, Kodaly, and/or Gordon methodologies preferred *Successful experience teaching K-5 general music preferred *Demonstrated understanding of current research as to how children learn and the ability to motivate student to perform at their best *Demonstrated ability to work in an economically, culturally, and racially diverse environment. *Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both orally and in writing. *Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction, by using a variety of styles, and inspire mixed culture and ability classes by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students *Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of the team. *Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
How to Apply
Grand Rapids Public Schools manages employment applications online. Applications must be completed online at www.applitrack.com/grps/onlineapp. No hardcopy applications/resumes will be accepted for this position. Computer terminals are available in the GRPS Franklin Campus lobby from 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday-Friday, for applicant use (Monday – Thursday during the summer).