- Grand Rapids Public Schools
- Grand Rapids, MI
- $37,538 and comprehensive benefits package
- Posted On:
- May 17, 2017
Grand Rapids Public Schools; various locations
- Responsible for develop a health band program
- Responsible for teaching all band instruments—proper posture, hand position, instrument carriage, proper tone production, articulation, technique, etc.
- Provide sound music reading instruction so all students can read the notes on the staff—identify the letter name and produce the correct pitch on their respective instrument independently
- Provide rhythmic instructions so all students can count and clap rhythmic patterns independently
- Develop lesson plans based on music curriculum, the GRPS academic plan, department goals, and students’ needs
- Differentiate instruction so all learning styles are included and every student is reached
- Develop a plan for each student to succeed
- Plan and execute a minimum of two performances per building per year
- Provide band instruction 7-12 grade to prepare students to be successful at our internal music festival run like MSBOA (Michigan School Band and Orchestra) Festival
- Provide band instruction 7-12 grade to prepare students to be successful at MSBOA (Michigan School Band and Orchestra) Festival
- Communicate with feeder schools – elementary and high school to establish program articulation and successful transition for students
- Evaluate student progress based on formal and informal assessment to inform instruction
- Grade students and input the data into the computer-based grading program
- Attend meetings and workshops to stay current with educational practice
- Provide a safe, effective classroom environment that is focused on learning and student growth
- Establish and maintain timely effective written/oral communication with students, parents, building and district level staff
- Create and maintain positive relations with students, parents, staff, and community
- Exercise good judgment when implementing school district policies, procedures, guidelines, and law
- Serve as a role model for all students and within the school community
- Keep organized classroom spaces, inventory, attendance, equipment inventory
- Work effectively with diverse students and staff of various backgrounds
- Other duties as assigned
Parent and Community Engagement
- Make and maintain regular, positive contact with parents via phone calls, email and/or home visits including communicating student progress.
- Establish and maintain effective written and oral communication and rapport with students, parents and colleagues.
- Participate in parent meetings, including IEP’s and Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- Contribute to the development of a positive attitude between the school and the wider community through cooperative relations, publications, competitions, etc.
- Contribute to community service and global citizenship goals
- Traveling to multiple buildings per day
- Moving instruments, stands, and teaching materials in your vehicle to multiple buildings per day, and as needed throughout the day
- Setting up and taking down equipment every visit in every building
- Display physical, social, mental and emotional soundness in order to execute the duties of job.
- Serve as a role model for all students and within school community.
- Interact with co-workers, administration, students, parents and the community in positive, supportive and cooperative ways.
- Encourage the team spirit and contribute as a team member in the decision making processes of the school as facilitated by the building administrator.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required.
- Contribute to extra-curricular activities and school programs, including recess duty as requested
- Maintain and promote school district goals and objectives.
- Comply with state, federal and District policies, procedures, rules, and the union contract.
- Regular and on-time attendance is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE *JX/JQ K-12 music teacher certification *Primary instrument of study is a string instrument *Degree in Music Education with a focus in instrumental music *Primary instrument of study – woodwind, brass, or percussion *Successful teaching experience working in a diverse setting preferred *Successful experience developing a band program where all students read music and perform on their instrument independently *Successful experience teaching beginning band students *Must have transportation to travel between buildings
How to Apply
Grand Rapids Public Schools manages employment applications online. Applications must be completed online at www.applitrack.com/grps/onlineapp. No hardcopy applications/resumes will be accepted for this position. Computer terminals are available in the GRPS Franklin Campus lobby from 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday-Friday, for applicant use (Monday – Thursday during the summer).