Congratulations to all those who auditioned for this year’s Elementary Honors Choir. CLICK HERE to view the complete list of this year’s choir members.
All accepted students must complete the final paperwork and pay all participation fees. Please visit our EHC Acceptance Page for complete instructions, forms, and payment options. All forms and final payments MUST be postmarked by Thursday, December 21st.
The Michigan Music Education Association is thrilled to present the 4th annual Elementary Honors Choir, which will be held in March of 2018. It is open to 3rd-6th grade students of MMEA members. We feature TWO separate ensembles – a 3rd/4th grade choir and a 5th/6th grade choir. Each group will rehearse separately and will perform on their own at the concert. The performance will also feature one joint piece with the combined groups singing together. This year’s directors will be Carrie Ledet (3rd/4th choir) and Norman Freeman (5th/6th choir). We are thrilled to welcome these two gifted vocal music educators! The audition fee is $10 and the cost of participation, if accepted, is $55.
To apply for this year’s Honors Choir please do the following:
- Prepare an audition recording (any method available to you). 3rd/4th grade students will sing “Happy Birthday” in the key of G without accompaniment. 5th/6th grade students will sing “America” (My Country ’tis of Thee) in the key of G with out accompaniment. If students are unable to sing that song for religious or other reasons, they may sing another song of their choice with a similar range or sing a few vocalizes. Clearly label each recording with the student’s first and last name, grade, and school. For example, if Bobby Jones goes to East Elementary school, his audio file should be labeled “Bobby Jones Grade 5 East Elem.” Google Voice recordings should have the teacher clearly state the student name, school name and grade at the beginning of the recording.
- Fill out an application form for each student. This may be done through our quick online form or you can download a paper application and mail it to us (please write clearly). Links for both applications can be found below.
- Send a check payable to the “Michigan Music Education Association”. The audition fee is $10 for each student.
- All items must be received or postmarked by November 14th, 2017. Snail mail address is:
1006 W. Washington Avenue
Jackson, MI 49203
Email: email@example.com. Please put “MMEAEHC” in the subject line to help sort your email from spam.
Google Voice phone number: (320) 204-MMEA
Fax: (517) 789-8467
Audition Criteria and Instructions
- Directors should recommend students who are strong in ALL of the following categories: 1) music reading skills; 2) tone quality; 3) social skills; 4) willingness to work with peers and adults; and 5) aptitude and stamina for success with long rehearsals.
- It is imperative that students commit to both the first rehearsal date and the second rehearsal/concert date. Not attending one or the other compromises their comfort level at the concert as well as the comfort level of those singing near them.
- Students will receive acceptance and voice part assignment in the form of an email to their recommending teacher by November 30th. They must return their letter of commitment and payment of $55 by December 21, 2017. Students will then be sent this year’s music and links to the learning/listening tracks.
- Students need to be well prepared for the first rehearsal. All music will need to be memorized for the concert. Concert dress will be black pants (or black skirt and black tights) and the T-shirt (provided at the 2nd rehearsal/performance).
Fees and what they cover
Your $10 audition and $55 honor’s Choir fees pay for a T-shirt, music, food on rehearsal and concert days and concert space. It also helps pay for the Director and Accompanist stipends.
The 2018 rehearsal/performance schedule is as follows:
Day 1 Rehearsal: March 3, 2018 @ Grand Ledge High School
(820 Spring Street Grand Ledge, MI 48837)
10am – noon Rehearse
12-1pm Break, Lunch
Day 2 Performance: March 17, 2018 @ Grand Ledge High School
(820 Spring Street Grand Ledge, MI 48837)
1-2pm Lineup, spot check, Sound Check, break
(this schedule may be adjusted slightly closer to the event)
Carrie Ledet (3rd/4th grade choir)
Norman Freeman (5th/6th grade choir)
Please click below to view the press release for last year’s event:
MMEA is a proud state affiliate of the National Association for Music Education